It has been awhile since I’ve posted.  I have a ton of recipes to write about as I’m about to finish my classes from the winter term this week.

The update on pumpkin makgeolli – well, I have to sadly admit, I let this one slide.  It was going well until I didn’t strain the makgeolli at the right time and let it sit for way too long.  In truth, I guess I lost my motivation for awhile.  I learned that good tasting makgeolli isn’t impossible to make but not exactly easy to do it at home unless you have a way to control temperature within 1 or 2 degrees over 2 weeks.  Often it produces a very sour taste that is rather unpleasant, which can be masked by adding sugar or syrup but to me that’s kinda cheating when it comes to making traditional alcohol.  I mean, it would be unthinkable to do to wine, but it is a common practice with industrial makgeolli made now (often aspartame is added).

On our last class on Wednesday, I took a sample of my pumpkin makgeolli to class after learning that we had to showcase something we made at home to the teacher.  I really didn’t want to show it since I knew it had rather significant off-taste which was of course picked up right away.  I need to redeem myself!   I will make another shot at makgeolli at home, or maybe I should try to make rice wine with higher alcohol dose since it’s supposed to be a bit more fail-proof.

In the end, I doubt I’ll be making alcohol all the time at home, but it would be great skill to learn to take back with me to Canada. The ingredients are ridiculously simple, it is only tending to it a little bit each day over 2 weeks.  The starter culture is a crucial ingredient through, and one of these days, I’ll make a posting on making nuruk, which is made by spontaneous fermentation.  The rest of the ingredients are rice and water.  3 ingredients, 2 weeks, and tasty alcohol (or at least with some practice) – not bad.  Simplicity at it’s best but the craft and skill to make it well can’t be understated.

Advertisements